Arieh Sharon: Architect of the Stateby Sarah Blum | 15.04.18
Arieh Sharon was born as Ludwig Kurzmann in Poland, and emigrated to the then Palestine in 1919. In 1926 Sharon had left to study at The Bauhaus school of design, architecture and applied arts in Dessau, Germany. In 1931 he returned with important ideals, which were ingrained in him during his studies under the revolutionaries – Walter Gropius, Hanes Meyer and Joseph Albers.
Arieh Sharon was a key figure in shaping Tel Aviv, a city which was established on sand dunes in 1909 and transformed into the so called ‘White City’ filled with architectural splendor. Tel Aviv became saturated with over 4000 Bauhaus buildings designed in the International Style and built during the 1930’s. As a result, in 2003 the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) proclaimed the city as a World Cultural Heritage site.
Following the establishment of the state in 1948, Sharon was appointed by David Ben-Gurion as head of the Government Planning department and became the pioneering architect in Israel, forming the architectural master-plan for the country. He was awarded the Israel Prize for Architecture in 1962.
The exhibition, Arieh Sharon: Architect of the State, opened on April 13, celebrating of the prolific architect and the State of Israel. The comprehensive display of, blue prints, photographs, films, 3D models and letters presents the first retrospective exhibition of Sharon’s vision for the country. He planned over 600 projects ranging from cities, kibbutzim, hospitals, universities, schools, residential buildings, office towers, thus shaping the young state into a formidable country. The exhibition is divided into 8 categories, chronologically exploring a different aspects of Sharon’s oeuvre.
The augmenting exhibition, curated by Dr. Eran Neuman, will be on display at the Helena Rubinstein Pavilion for Contemporary Art until October 1, 2018.